These are up on so many blogs these days, so I figured I'd do a year review too so I could be cool like them. Plus they're fun to do, and make me sound interesting. Bonus!
2011 YEAR REVIEW
1. What did you do in 2011 that you've never done before? So. Many. Things. I could start off by saying "giving birth", but I'm afraid that will be repeated so many times in this review that it'll get boring, so instead I'll say "write a book". Because I did. Not a very good one, but still, a 50,000 word document is nicely tucked away in my NaNoWriMo folder on my laptop.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? To be honest with you, I can't remember what resolutions I had for 2011. I remember saying to someone "yeah I was planning on becoming a mom, and then ... being a mom." So I kept those. And I've already written a blog post about my resolutions for 2012.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Apart from the obvious (me), there were five women who are either good friends or close relatives (and I count cousins as "close") who had babies in 2011.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, my grandmother. It was very sad, because she died only a month before my son was born, so she never got to see him. On the other hand, she was 92 and ready for death.
5. What countries did you visit? Spain! Bloody lovely.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn't have in 2011? Proper sleeeeep.
7. What date(s) from 2011 will you remember and why? The reasons are obvious, but I'll never forget my son's birthday and the date of his welcome party.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I'm not going to write "give birth". I'm NOT. So I'll go with the career category instead - I had one of my comics published in a very popular comics magazine in Norway, Pondus. My brain really is blank for most of 2011 (see question 6), so there might be something I've missed.
9. What was your biggest failure? That I didn't turn out the fit, healthy, outdoorsy mum I envisaged when I got pregnant. I blame pelvic girdle pain and double-sided knee tendonitis (I had my very last physio therapist session today, yay!), and absolutely disgusting weather.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? A couple of colds. Also, see previous question.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Oooh man, there are so many things! Which should I choose? The Mountain Buggy Terrain stroller? My new hiking boots? My new telephone? No, I'll go for the camera. I'm not a photographer but with a camera this good and my awesome Photoshop skills, I can get away with not taking my kid to a horribly expensive photo studio.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration? My entire village, and people in the neighbouring villages too, when everyone joined forces and gave a young couple a new place to live. They had their firstborn, a daughter, on Christmas Eve and two days later their house burned to the ground, and they lost everything they owned. Thankfully they were still in hospital, including the dad, so no-one got hurt. When they came home from the hospital they had a temporary house to live in, clothes for themselves, baby equipment, toiletries, food, even a Christmas tree - and enough baby clothes to start their own shop. It was so horrible - and so amazing. I take my hat off!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? I'm not the kind of person who tell names like that, so even if there are several that spring to mind, I'll keep them to myself. Oh, except Statnett. Don't ask. Just read about it.
14. Where did most of your money go? Baby clothes, baby equipment, baby food, baby this, baby that. Babies are expensives! But still better than computers.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Do you need to ask? Hint: starts with a 'b'. Ends with a 'aby'.
16. What songs will always remind you of 2011? My son's lullaby. (You'll need Spotify to listen)
17. Compared to this time last year you are ... about 15 kilos lighter.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Sleeping. Sleeeping. It really is underestimated.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Play "Farm Frenzy 2" on my mobile.
20. Did you fall in love in 2011? Yes. With my baby boy. Totally head over heels. Amazing. I'll write a blog post one day about how your own child is the most perfect child in the world and how all other babies look a little weird when you're full of post-pregnancy-hormones. Because it's totally true.
21. How many one-night stands? Haha, this question is redundant! Now and forever. I'm not that kind of person, plus I'm married.
22. What was your favourite tv program? Well, I don't have a tv, but my husband and I did enjoy "Ikke gjør dette hjemme" on NRK nett-tv, which translates to "Don't do this at home", in which two guys have fun trying to destroy a house in as many different ways as possible. Setting fire to a pan of boiling oil did the trick in the end.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't this time last year? No, I don't think so. But 'hate' is a strong word. I prefer 'dislike'.
24. What was the best book you read? The first in the Hunger Games series. It really is the best one of the trilogy. The other two are good reads as well, but they depend so much on that first one, on the fact that you already love the characters. Sorry, Divergent, but it just so happened I read both books in one year, and I liked Hunger Games best.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? That children's songs can be sweet and beautiful, not just silly and embarassing. And that what classifies as children's music is sort of in the eye (or ear!) of the beholder.
26. What did you want and get? I got pretty much everything I wanted, and then some! It was truly a year of generosity all round.
27. What was your favourite film of the year? I didn't get to see many films, and I think I only went to the cinema once. So I'll put that - the last film of the Harry Potter series.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Uhm ... dang, what did I do? I can't remember! Oh, what was it ... yep, my brain had left me already then. But I was 29. Old age clearly is getting to me. Dementia, here I come.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Having that dang bathroom ready for when the baby arrived. But as he arrived 2 (3) weeks early and the tilers were so friggin' slow, we had to make do with a changing table in the kitchen. Eww. Oh, and you know, being the fit, healthy outdoorsy mum that I went on about in question 9.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Tent.
31. What kept you sane? My husband.
32. What celebrity/public figure did you fancy? I suppose it's a merit to my husband's hotness that I can't think of any!
33. What political issue stirred you the most? See question 13. Oh, and the neverending "it wasn't my fault for raping that woman, because she had a short skirt on"-bullshit that some men still think is okay. Big issue of debate in Norway in 2011, hope it will continue to be so in 2012.
34. Who did you miss? My grandmother. I got to see pretty much everyone else as they came to meet the baby.
35. Who was the best new person you met? My neighbours Magda and Janusz!
36. Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2011. Always keep backup of all your photos somewhere else than in your house. See question 12.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: I don't think anyone's written a song that can sum up 2011 for me! Describe a mother's love for her newborn accurately so that everyone can understand, and I'll quote that.
So there you have it! How was YOUR year?